Monday, February 26, 2007

Cake anyone?

Today is the sixth day of lent, and having been raised in the holiness evangelical tradition, this is also the first time I have ever taken part in it. So far, it has been both enlightening and frustrating. I did give up two things that are embarrassingly close to my heart: sweets and tv. At first, I was trying to decide which to give up, and then that small little voice inside my head said, "Why can't you just give up both?" Ouch. Yep. That'll do it every time. And I must say, I have been tempted constantly to give in on both accounts.

It is so unreal to me that I am so lax when it comes to self-discipline and self-control. It should be easy to give up things that are so trivial and meaningless. And yet these two vices have been on my mind continualy since I gave them up. The good news is, that as I dwell on the lack of tv and sweets, I am reminded of why I am doing this, and that if Christ can give up all nourishment of any kind for 40 days, then I can certainly give up two items that I do not even need to survive or even thrive!

But on Saturday evening at our worship gathering, I found out that during lent, people take a break from their fasts on the Sabbath. This was wonderful news to me, until I broke my fast and it was even harder to give it back up after I had a whole day of rest.

With all the trouble I am having after only a few days, I am beginning to wonder how I am going to make it all the way to Easter....

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Are you going to update this thing....ever???

I just found it so I'm just wondering if I should continue looking for a new blog